Some things I’d found useful/interesting on Mali. Top two especially recommended.
- Africa is a Country, ‘France in Mali: the End of the Fairytale’
- Bridges from Bamako, ‘Behind Mali’s conflict: myths, realities & unknowns’
- LRB, ‘What went wrong in Mali?’ (from August 2012)
- The Monkey Cage, ‘Voices from Contested Territory: 531 Messages for President Obama from Northern Mali’
- McClatchy, ‘French forces unseen as Mali town prepares for possible Islamist advance’
- The Arabist, ‘Mali and the Maghreb’
- The Economist, ‘The crisis in Mali and Algeria: Jihad in the Sahara’
- New York Times, ‘U.S. Sees Hazy Threat From Mali Militants’
- Der Spiegel, ‘Germany’s Mali Predicament: Trapped Between France and War’
- Jamestown Foundation on Mokthar Belmokthar, suspected to be behind the Algeria hostage-taking
I’m sure that the English-language writing only scratches the surface of what’s been written over the past couple of weeks.
Update with others:
- CNN, ‘Six reasons events in Mali matter’: “Experts say [AQIM’s] total strength is probably in the hundreds rather than any more”
- Dart-Throwing Chimp, ‘Did Libya Cause Mali?’